Title: RE: PRNG problems on Solaris 7 sparc

/dev/random ->found at: http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~andi/
for solaris...

-----Original Message-----
From: Shea Janet B CRBE [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 9:39 AM
To: 'Michael S. Tan'; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: PRNG problems on Solaris 7 sparc

I finally got the RSA key generated! From there, I was finally able to create my PKI certificate request, which was submitted this morning.

I have tried lots of variations in trying to get to this point. Among the things I tried was using the openssl package from Sunfreeware.com, using different versions of openssl, variations of pointing to /dev/random ....  All of these would fail at the point of generating the RSA key.

The solution that finally succeded was to install EGD (from http://www.lothar.com/tech/crypto/ ), then start it up with the command: /usr/local/bin/egd.pl /etc/entropy  Once enough entropy had gathered, I was able to generate the key with the command: openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key -rand /etc/entropy 1024

Thank you for your help, everyone! Your pointers for command lines to try really helped.

Janet Shea