Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> Maybe OpenSSL does it this way when it encounters a cert without a
> pathlen specified, but as I mentioned in an earlier message on this
> thread, Netscape (4.76?) for Linux (running on FreeBSD) seems to
> have a problem.  Adding the pathlen was the final trick that made it
> work.  Without the pathlen, I got
>
> "Certificate path length constraint is invalid."
>
> In a Netscape popup.

Well if the certificate is correctly encoded and pathlen is absent then
it should interpret it as unlimited. This is specified in a number of
places including RFC2459. If Netscape is doing otherwise then its a bug.

I haven't seen that popup you mention before. If this standard Netscape
4.76 or PSM? I'd like to reproduce it and report it at some point.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]