The implementation of AUTH SSL/TLS in the FTP client support that
comes with Kermit 95 and C-Kermit 8.0

  http://www.kermit-project.org/ftpd.html

supports all ciphers supported by OpenSSL; reuses the session for the
data connections; and properly performs verification of server
certificates unlike several other clients; and supports the use of
client certificates.

> But be warned that WS FTP uses only 40 bit export ciphers, at least the
> versions which i checked (V6.6 and V7.0-Tryout). Another possibility is
> CuteFTP, which uses strong encryption. A possible drawback with both
> clients is that it is not possible to encrypt only the control connection
> (in case when you only want to protect the password with SSL). This may
> have a severe impact on the transfer rate. The third Windows-Client known
> to me is Igloo FTP, which allows to encrypt only the control connection,
> but is restricted to weak 40 bit export ciphers too.
> A further drawback of WS FTP and Cute FTP is, that they use for the data
> connection a new SSL session (no resumption of the SSL session of the
> control connection). This leads to an unnecessary high load on the FTP
> server. Some server may therefore even disallow the use of a separate
> session for the data connection.
> All in all there is IMHO no Windows FTP client, which could be currently
> recommended unrestricted.
> (CuteFTP: www.globalscape.com, Igloo FTP: www.iglooftp.com).
> Ciao,
> Richard
> --
> Dr. Richard W. Könning
> Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH, EP LP COM 5
> Phone/Fax: +49-89-636-47852 / 47655
> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.