Gens,

I'm new to encryption and just thinking about an application using SSL to
communicate and also for data (file) encryption both by OpenSSL (of course :-)

I found the next paragraphs in the EVP doc
(http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html#)

<quote>
When decrypting the final block is checked to see if it has the correct
form.

Although the decryption operation can produce an error if padding is
enabled, it is not a strong test that the input data or key is correct. A
random block has better than 1 in 256 chance of being of the correct format
and problems with the input data earlier on will not produce a final decrypt
error.
</quote>

Would you please tell me what exactly can be the problem with padding?

I hope this does not mean that I cannot decrypt what I encrypt with the same
parameter (padding enabled). Does this mean that padding can be tricked too
easily or what?

Many thanks
Laszlo