I've been having problems getting a Weblogic 5.1 server to run using a cert
genertated with OpenSSL.  Here's what I've done:

Created a CA key of 4096 bits  = ohrescakey.pem

Created a self-signed cert for the CA key (ohrescacert.der) valid for five
years, using the following command:
OpenSSL> req -new -x509 -out ohrescacert.der -key ohrescakey.pem -days 1825
-config openssl_config.txt

Then I created a new key and cert request for the web server, and used the
OpenSSL CA function to sign this cert.

All the certs are recognized by IE just fine, but when I load them into the
WebLogic Server, they don't seem to work.
weblogic.security.certificate.server=portalsdccert.pem
weblogic.security.key.server=portalsdckey.pem
weblogic.security.certificate.authority=ohrescacert.der

If I submit the web server CSR to Verisign, and get a test cert back from
them, then it works just fine.  The only difference I can see is that the
Verisign Root CA cert is a V1 cert, while the OpenSSL root CA cert I created
is a V3 cert.   Is there any way to force OpenSSL to create a V1 self-signed
cert?