Noel,
                I haven't compiled 0.9.6c, but I just finished compiling
0.9.6b - I didn't get any macro errors but I ran into the final problem
with crytolib.h!!

        Here are the instructions (as sent to me by my new pal Pascal
Janse van Vuuren in NZ who helped so much with this problem a week or so
ago):-

Right, I'm going to go through all the steps EXACTLY as I'm doing them
now
- to get you a good build of OpenSSL. The first thing, I'm using Winzip
8.0, Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise edition and ActiveState Perl, as
suggested
by OpenSSL.

The first step I did was to extract "openssl-0.9.6b.tar.gz" to the root
directory, specifying that it should use Folder Names. (So it creates a
folder called "openssl-0.9.6b". I'm using my D:\ drive, so it ends up as

D:\openssl-0.9.6b

The drive is completely irrelevant, you can put it on anything from C:\
Z:\. The path is also irrelevant, I normally use
D:\Programming\@wgdev\openssl - so anything should work. I've attached a

listing with a copy of the directory tree in it. You can compare yours
to it.

Then, I opened a command prompt and typed the following commands:

1. D:
2. cd\opensll-0.9.6.b
3. "d:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\bin\vcvars32.bat
4. perl Configure VC-WIN32
5. ms\do_ms
6. nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

        The important bit here is the vcvars32.bat which ISN'T mentioned
in the install.w32

        Good Luck!
                Myles Parker
        IT Security Team,