Howdy,

I don't have any experience in coding apps which use cryptography, but I
don't want to screw up, so I come looking for some friendly advice.

What I would like to do is to use the openssl simmetric crypto library to
encrypt local files, and decrypt them with a user supplied passphrase.
Pretty normal stuff, right? I have seen the Blowfish example in the
documentation.

My doubts are the following:

- I gather that it's a bad idea to just encrypt all the files with the
passphrase chosen by the user, right?

- If so, I would encrypt the files with an internally generated
pseudo-random key of the appropriate length, store it encrypted (with the
user-chosen passphase as key) on disk, and then use the passphrase entered
by the user to decrypt the real key and then decrypt the files with the
latter. I think this is what PGP/GPG do, so it should be a better solution
than just using the passphrase in the first place. Is this right?

- If so, how do I get the pseudo-random data to use as a key? Just read it
from /dev/random? (I am on linux.) Or is there a preferred way of doing
this?

- How do I use the IV value? Is this the "salt"? If so, I don't need it to
decrypt the cyphertext, right? (If this is right, why does the decrypt
command in the above-mentioned example
(http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html#EXAMPLES) mention
the IV value: "-iv 0102030405060708"?)

Thank you for any help. As you can see, I am new to these things.

Cheerio,

Mack Stevenson