I'm not sure what your problem is but when I use OpenSSL in my service
I have mo problem connecting to it:

[C:/kermit/] C-Kermit>iks localhost
 DNS Lookup...  Trying 127.0.0.1... (OK)
SSL_DEBUG_FLAG on
?Unable to load verify-file: C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Application Dat
a/kermit 95/ca_certs.pem
?Unable to load verify-file: C:/Documents and
Settings/jaltman/Application Data/
kermit 95/ca_certs.pem
?Unable to load crl-file: C:/kermit/crls
?Unable to load crl-file: C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Application Data/k
ermit 95/crls
?Unable to load crl-file: C:/Documents and
Settings/jaltman/Application Data/ker
mit 95/crls
SSL/TLS init done!
[TLS - handshake starting]
SSL_handshake:UNKWN  before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:UNKWN  before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:3WCH_A SSLv3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL_connect:3RSKEA SSLv3 read server key exchange A
SSL_connect:3RSD_A SSLv3 read server done A
SSL_connect:3WCKEA SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:3WCCSA SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:3WFINA SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:3FLUSH SSLv3 flush data
SSL_connect:3RFINA SSLv3 read finished A
SSL_handshake:SSLOK  SSL negotiation finished successfully
Warning: Server didn't provide a certificate, continue? (Y/N) y
TLS client finished: CB 02 3C 42 B7 C0 5D 0C 5B D2 D4 5F
TLS server finished: 6E 20 06 00 AC E6 3B 35 15 60 7E 07
[TLS - OK]
[TLS - ADH-AES256-SHA          SSLv3 Kx=DH       Au=None Enc=AES(256)
Mac=SHA1
Compression: zlib compression

> Hi there,
>
> I have a small problem with designing services which use openssl. When I
> design server and client programs  as exe files  and install them  on
> Win2000, the system  operates  as it is expected. Then I have put both
> programs to operate as Win2000 services. What has happened is that when I
> put local host  in the client as "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" the system will
> not simply work at all. When I put its real IP address or DNS name such as
> mytestingcomputer, the client is able to locate sever (operates as
> Windows2000 service). Then  I have stripped the programs of ssl, and
> redesign it with tcp, the system  operates OK. After that, I have debuged my
> program and locate BIO_set_conn_hostname. The input value to this
> instruction was ok. Then I have redesigned the program and used  different
> openssl instructions based on socket implementation, where I have been able
> to follow the local address of the  host implementation. The problem is that
> inside openssl the localhost and 127.0.0.1 are not simply recognised at all,
> and they are interpreted as "unknown address".
>
> I have experimented with Service and its property (logon) under setting, but
> it still failed to resolve the local host address.
> I believe that there is some interaction between Win2000 service and openssl
> implementation, but I do not know where to look inside the code to find bug.
>

> I appreciate any help or suggestion.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alex Cosic

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH