I'm sorry if I posted to the wrong mail list... I know you provide help for
open ssl and not CA help, but after four days of searching the web (I'm new
to ssl) I felt you site was my best option.

First, I fully agree with you!!!  For public transaction a common trust is
imperative!!!
I should have been clearer in my question. But, when you don't understand
something well it's hard to formulate a proper question.

Allow me to further explain my needs and why I felt a private CA was the
proper solution for me (perhaps isn't.)

I am trying to provide private company sensitive information to our
"off-site" technicians and sales people.  The information is to be presented
via http (preferably https) to simplify the access and to keep it private.
It's nothing secrete but not anyone else's business, either.

I was wishing to provide my own CA, because I trust myself and so will our
off-site staff.  I/we are not dealing with the general public, so, I do not
(feel) I require the extra level of trust that would provided by a public CA
(verisign, Equifax, etc,)  I chose ssl because it seem to be an inexpensive,
quick, simple and secure method in place of RAS, VPN or ssh. At least for my
needs.

Perhaps, I am using ssl incorrectly by trying to use a my own (private) CA?
Am I setting my self up for disaster?? Is there better solution?!?

Again, I appreciate all (any) responses.

Thanks,

Bert Woods