Hi Steve,

I used the Certificate Manager that is build into Internet Exploder to view the
details of the certificate. You know, under Tools > Internet Options > Content
> Certificates....

Sooner or later, we will have to distribute our root certificate to all
employees, as more and more intrAnet servers over here use SSL certificates
that were signed by our security department.

If a Windows user receives the root certificate, and clicks on it, (s)he will
get the Certificate Import Wizard, which leaves no option to choose or leave
out any of the certificate's intended purposes.

The syntax of the command used for creating the root private key and the
certificate was:
openssl req  -x509 -newkey rsa:1024 -rand .rand -days 3650 -keyout privkey.pem -
out pubcert.crt

According to the documentation, if one does not mention any extensions section
in the command above, the x509_extensions section is used. Which leads to the
v3_ca section. In the end, I had everything linked to this section:
extensions      = v3_ca
In the [CA_default] and the [req] section:
x509_extensions = v3_ca

BTW: we also tried the -extensions option in the command.

This v3_ca section now contains the following details:
basicConstraints = critical, CA:true
keyUsage = cRLSign, keyCertSign
nsCertType = sslCA, objCA
subjectAltName=email:copy
issuerAltName=issuer:copy

Still, we get certificates that can be used for a lot of purposes.
A test public root certificate is enclosed.

Kind regards,

Huibert Kivits