From: Rick Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: Doubt regarding Certificate's Public Key

One example where multiple certification is needed is an OCSP responder
that responds for multiple CAs, and whose relying parties expect
responder.

Because an OCSP response may only be signed by a single key, a response
that includes information from multiple CAs must be signed by a key
certified by each of those CAs.  See the crude diagram below:

<OCSP request>
Issuer A, Serial 1?
Issuer B, Serial 5?
</OCSP request>

<OCSP Response>
Issuer A, Serial 1 : GOOD
Issuer B, Serial 5 : GOOD
/signature/
<optional certs>
<cert a>
Issuer : Issuer A
Subject: This Responder
Extended Key Usage: OCSP-Signing
</cert a>
<cert b>
Issuer : Issuer A
Extended Key Usage: OCSP-Signing
</cert b>
</optional certs>

Hope that helps!

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 08:40, Chandu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query regarding the Certificates public key.
>
> Is it possible according to PKI standards to get more than one certificate
> from different CA's for the same public key?
>
> I feel theoritically it is possible.  But I do not know how practical it
is.

> If this is possible can some one give the practical situation of where it
> can be used?  If not why it should not be allowed.
>
> I would like to have some comments and feeback on this issue.
>
> Regards
> Suram

Richard Ziegler
Software Engineer / ClearCase Administrator
(617) 503-0442
CertCo, Inc.