Well, using EVP functions is not too difficult
(http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html#):
    1) init context
            EVP_CIPHER_CTX ctx;
            EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init(&ctx);
    2) init cipher
            EVP_CipherInit(&ctx, EVP_des_ede3_cbc(), key, iv, encrypt);
    3) encrypt/decrypt data while available
            EVP_CipherUpdate(&ctx, out, &outLen, in, inLen);
    4) encrypt/decrypt the last block
            EVP_CipherFinal(&ctx, out, &outLen);
    5) cleanup context
            EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cleanup(&ctx);

You can also take a look at test/evp_test.c file in OpenSSL package.

Aleksey Sanin.