On Thu, 16 May 2002, Jason Jung wrote:

> I have a simple question: I am attempting to generate a 64 bit key, because
> apparently larger keys are illegal in France, yet I get the following error:
> "Private key is too short, it needs to be at least 384 bits, not 64."

In France, the limitation is 128 bits for a symetric key, and no
limitation for an asymetric key.

In fact, the real limitation is 128 bits for keys that provide secrecy.
Technically, even if it's not the common usage, you can encrypt data with
an RSA key, and in that precise case, the size of your RSA modulus should
be no more than 128 bits, which is a ridiculous size. But the idea of
encrypting data with an RSA key is just a little bit less ridiculous.
A symetric key is not considered data in the common case, so you can
protect symetric keys with very large RSA keys, if you want.

--
Erwann ABALEA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
-----