I need some help

1. I am able to generate Certificate and Private Key
using command line options in Openssl.
can someone tell me are they considered good? and if they are good
why do we need Certificates from companies like
Microsoft, Verisign???????????

2. I have downloaded the OpenSSL 0.9.6 24 Sep 2000
version. In
openssl-0.9.6d/openssl-0.9.6d/demos/maurice
when I write make
I get the following errors
cc -g -I../../include -Wall   -c -o loadkeys.o loadkeys.c
loadkeys.c: In function `ReadPublicKey':
loadkeys.c:36: too few arguments to function `PEM_ASN1_read'
loadkeys.c: In function `ReadPrivateKey':
loadkeys.c:67: too few arguments to function `PEM_ASN1_read'
make: *** [loadkeys.o] Error 1

when I open loadkeys.c, line 36 is

x509 = (X509 *)PEM_ASN1_read ((char *(*)())d2i_X509,
                                    PEM_STRING_X509,
                                    fp, NULL, NULL);

and line 67 is

         pkey = (EVP_PKEY*)PEM_ASN1_read ((char
*(*)())d2i_PrivateKey,
                               PEM_STRING_EVP_PKEY,
                               fp,
                               NULL, NULL);

But when I went to openssl.org I could not find whats the syntax
of the
PEM_ASN1_read function. Please help what the arguments should
be???
Thanks
Shalendra