Date sent:              Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:45:55 +0200
From:                   Lutz Jaenicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Re: zlib double free bug and openssl question.

I know of several public applications that uses zlib with OpenSSL.
Probably more that I don't know about.  In general, anything that
uses SSL enabled telnet can make use of the OpenSSL zlib feature.

Ken

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 04:01:38PM -0400, Lenny Miceli wrote:
> I've tried to search the archives/bug reports/faq's and didn't find any
> definitive answers on the zlib Double Free Bug CERT's Advisory CA-2002-07
> issue.  Does openssl v0.9.6b or above have this issue?  I know if you do a
> stings on libcrypto.a you find zlib alot, so I assume somehow the zlib library
> is used in crypto/comp/c_zlib.c or somewhere.  Thanks for any help
> you can give me.

If not explicitely selected, OpenSSL is not compiled with zlib-
support.
And even if it would be compiled in, it won't be used by default,
unless
an application enables it. I am not aware of any publicly available
application using zlib functionality inside OpenSSL.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/
BTU Cottbus, Allgemeine Elektrotechnik
Universitaetsplatz 3-4, D-03044 Cottbus
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Automated List Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_
Support
InterSoft International, Inc.
Voice: 888-823-1541, International 281-398-7060
Fax: 888-823-1542, International 281-560-9170
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.securenetterm.com