Hi.

When using the net_ssl_test script I get this error:

== FAILED TO CONNECT ==
Error: SSL negotiation failed: error:1407E086:SSL
routines:SSL2_SET_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed at

In one test case it seems to work; in the other it fails.  I'm not sure
where I went wrong.  The details of what I've done are below.

SECTION 1 - shows the openssl commands I used to parse the PCKS12 file.
SECTION 2 - shows the script and output that runs well
SECTION 3 - shows the script and output that fails
SECTION 4 - shows my environment

I am behind a firewall, but we dont use a proxy.  I'd greatly appreciate any
help.

Thanks,
John

- SECTION 1 ----------------------------
I created my files like this:

pkcs12 -in dt.pfx -cacerts -nodes -nokeys -out dt_ca.crt
Enter Import Password:
MAC verified OK
pkcs12 -in dt.pfx -clcerts -nodes -nokeys -out dt_cl.crt
Enter Import Password:
MAC verified OK
pkcs12 -in dt.pfx -nocerts -nodes -out dt.key
Enter Import Password:
MAC verified OK

I tested the cert files with these commands:
x509 -in dt_ca.crt -noout -text
x509 -in dt_cl.crt -noout -text
rsa -in dt.key -noout -text

and they seemed to pass.

- SECTION 2 ----------------------------

When I run this (HTTPS_CA* are commented out):

#!/usr/bin/ksh
#export HTTPS_CA_FILE='./dt_ca.crt';
#export  HTTPS_CA_DIR='.';
export HOST='https://www.nwoasis.org';
./net_ssl_test -cert=./dt_cl.crt -key=./dt.key -d GET $HOST

I get this output (which I think looks ok):

ieh1: dt_test.ksh
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server done A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
WEB SITE: www.nwoasis.org:443
CIPHER: RC4-MD5
THIS IS: /C=US/O=BONNEVILLE POWER ADMINISTRATION/OU=BONNEVILLE POWER
ADMINISTRATION/CN=www.nwoasis.org
CERTIFIED BY: /C=US/O=Digital Signature Trust Co./OU=TrustID
Server/CN=TrustID Server CA A5

SSL_connect:SSL renegotiate ciphers
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate request A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server done A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write certificate verify A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
When I add in the HTTPS_CA variables and run this:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
export HTTPS_CA_FILE='./dt_ca.crt';
export  HTTPS_CA_DIR='.';
export HOST='https://www.nwoasis.org';
./net_ssl_test -cert=./dt_cl.crt -key=./dt.key -d GET $HOST

I get this output (which looks bad):

ieh1: digi_test.ksh
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL3 alert write:fatal:unknown
SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server certificate B
SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server certificate B
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL3 alert write:fatal:bad certificate
SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server certificate B
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2 write client hello A
SSL_connect:error in SSLv2 read server hello B
== FAILED TO CONNECT ==
Error: SSL negotiation failed: error:1407E086:SSL
routines:SSL2_SET_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/Net/SSL.pm line 215.
;  at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/Net/SSL.pm line 146.

If you need to use a proxy, please pass it in as an argument like

  ./net_ssl_test -p 127.0.0.1:8080

which sets $ENV{HTTPS_PROXY} for you.

Environment:
Perl v5.6.1