On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:17:48PM -0700, Bob Steele wrote:

> This might be a nonsensical question, and if so it
> wouldn't be my first foolish question here:
>
> Is it possible or appropriate to add a timestamp object
> (RFC 3161) to a PKCS#7 signature during the signature's
> creation?

This should be defined by business logic and/or risk management rules.
No problem at software-writing level.

> It is *not* possible for me to make the timestamp the signed data
> portion, since I'm already creating signatures on external
> detached data.
>
> What I was wondering is if it was possible to add the timestamp
> at the same level as the certificates, much as you add additional
> certificates (for a complete signing chain) to a PKCS#7?

Maybe, another one SignerInfo part of PKCS7?
Made by time-stamping key to confirm signed-data was shown to
signer at that time. Adding another one SignerInfo would not break
validity of any previous one

> Alternately, If there is another PKI data structure that could
> incorporate
> both a PKCS#7 and a RFC 3161 timestamp, could you please suggest it
> to me?

One may want to time-stamp the whole "pkcs7 signed" to confirm
(unverified) signature was shown to the second signer at that time

good luck,
Vadim