On 6/8/02 3:01 PM, "Steven M. Bellovin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was excluding EDNS0, since I thought it wasn't widely implemented.

It has been implemented in the latest version of BINDv8, it has always been
in BINDv9, and I believe it is in Microsoft's DNS server (not positive on
this).  Given EDNS0 is required for implementing DNS for IPv6, I wouldn't
think it something you'd like to exclude.

> TCP fallback is, as you are painfully well aware, expensive.

Yes.

>> What is the average size of a CERT (honest question, I have no idea)?
> Good question -- and I don't think there's any one answer.

Hmm.  "Average"?

> Technically, you're right, but a number of the essential concepts are
> the same, including the key one that the record you're looking for has
> to have a name in DNS space.

And, of course, there are applications in which this makes perfect sense
(e.g., ssh).

Rgds,
-drc