On 06/18/02 06:59 PM, Lutz Jaenicke sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:10:48PM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > The problem I'm seeing is apparently caused by a read or write attempt
> > returning SSL_ERROR_WANT_X509_LOOKUP.  My understanding of this was
> > that I should simply try the read or write again.  Apparently I was
> > mistaken because the app seems to get sucked into a loop where it
> > continually returns the same error and continues to loop.  Needless to
> > say, the result is a very ugly, resource gobbling, and quite painful
> > decline into oblivion.
>
> SSL_ERROR_WANT_LOOKUP can only appear on client applications. It is returned,
> if a client_cert_cb() is installed _and_ the client_cert_cb() returns
> a value < 0, indicating that it cannot satisfy the request for a client
> certificate now and wants to be called again later.
> The manual page delivered with all version up to 0.9.6d is wrong, I have
> corrected it in the meantime.

You mean the server is requesting a client cert from my app?

This is what http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_get_error.html# says:

SSL_ERROR_WANT_X509_LOOKUP

    The operation did not complete because an application callback set
by SSL_CTX_set_client_cert_cb() has asked to be called again. The
TLS/SSL I/O function should be called again later. Details depend on
the application.

This sounds pretty much like the manpage I have installed.

Is this only returned during a connection, or can it be returned
during an SSL_read or SSL_write attempt?

Thanks Lutz.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

pain, n.:
  One thing, at least it proves that you're alive!