Hi Zac,
Try this command specifying explicitely the number of days:
openssl req -config /etc/openssl.cnf -new -x509 -keyout newkey.pem -out
newcert.pem -days 365

note: check for the openssl.cnf path
For more details you can consult this URL:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/SSL-Certificates-HOWTO/x139.html

                      Zac Taylor

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Sent by:                    cc:

                      owner-openssl-users@        Subject:  Newbie question, extending
life of self-signed certs beyond 30 days.
                      openssl.org

                      11/07/2002 19:57

                      Please respond to

                      openssl-users

Hi,
I have a RH 7.2 system running Apache 2.0.39 and
openssl-0.9.6b-8.
I used the openssl utilities to create a private key
and a self-signed certificate.
I noticed that my browser showed the certiciate having
a validity of only a month, so I went to the
/usr/share/ssl/openssl.cnf file and changed the
following :
default_days = 3650
default_crl_days = 3650
default_md = sha1

Having re-created the self-signed cert and restarted
the web server, I noticed that the browser showed the
sha1 encryption (changed from md5), but no change to
the validity - I was expecting it to be 10 years.

Is there a way to change the default days for a
self-signed certificate. When I created it, I was not
prompted for the valid days.

Thanks in advance,
Zac.