To generate a key from a password, use EVP_BytesToKey
There is an explanation in an old document written by
the legendary EAY in doc\ssleay.txt.

That old document (search for == cipher.m == ) has an
example of encrypting some bytes with TripleDES and
EVP_BytesToKey, EVP_EncryptInit and the like.

 --- "Hellan,Kim KHE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu: > Hi

> I haven't worked with symmetric encryption, so this
> may be a simple problem to you guys (I hope).
> I have a text, "HELLO WORLD", that I want to encrypt
> using 3DES. It should be encrypted with the
> password, "MYPASSWORD", which then later on can be
> used when decrypting the text.
> I have been looking in the docs and source files,
> but all this talk about SALT and IV doesn't really
> ring a bell.
>
> It seems like a simple problem, so what OpenSSL
> functions must I call in order to perform this
> encryption/decryption ?
>
> Best regards
>
> Kim Hellan
> KMD / KMD-CA