Hi group,

I've searched the FAQ and archives on this subject and found very
little.

I've got Redhat 7.1 (with updates and patches) Apache 1.3.26, modssl
2.8.10-1.3, openssl-0.9.6g all compiled and installed on a clean system.

I went through the MAKE CERTIFICATE sequence and got everything to start
and run ok.  When I start ssl (apachectl startssl), the process starts,
but, when I try to connect via https, I get an error message that reads:

        Server connection Fatal Error (554)
        Signature of this certificate could not be verified

The log files show the ssl start up with several lines of "Init:..."
Ending with:
"Init: Configuring server localhost:443 for SSL protocol"

But when connections are attempted the log reads:

        Connection to child 1 established(server localhost:443, client..
        Seeding PRNG with 1160 bytes of entropy
        SSL handshake stopped: connection was closed

I'm a bit new to openssl, but I did do this install once before without
this problem.  Any thoughts on what I may have overlooked?

thanks,

regis