After I upgraded to openssl-0.9.6g (also openssl-engine) on my RedHat 7.3, I got
several problem.

(1) qmail-pop3d can not authenticate my username and password

(2) openssh (sshd) 3.4p1 also can not authenticate my username and password, not root
account

Do I need to recompile ALL applications?

I tried with openssh, I removed ssh* in /usr/local/etc/ /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin,
recompiled, make install again. But still, the problem exist.

Then I read a workaround that I must build openssh --with-pam, and I did that. It's
work!

But why? Why do I need to use 'pam' after upgrading? Should I recompile all
applications with
'pam' ?

This will be problem if my application does not support 'pam'. 'checkpassword' for
qmail-pop3d
does not support pam, if I am not mistaken.

Or maybe my upgrade process was wrong? (see below)

Please help me.

Thanks,
kapot

I followed this when upgraded my openssl :

Upgrading OPENSSL on RedHat 7.3 (Simple Guide)

* Download latest openssl AND openssl-engine from :

     http://www.openssl/org -OR-
     http://openssl.planetmirror.com

* Copy all *.tar.gz to /tmp

* Building openssl-0.9.6g

     cd /tmp
     tar -zxvf openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz
     cd openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz
     ./config shared
     make
     make test
     make install

* Building openssl-engine.0.9.6g

     cd /tmp
     tar -zxvf openssl-engine-0.9.6g.tar.gz
     cd openssl-engine-0.9.6g.tar.gz
     ./config shared
     make
     make test
     make install

* Remove old openssl rpm

     rpm --erase --nodeps openssl

* Link new files

     cd /usr/lib
     rm libcrypto.so
     rm libcrypto.so.1
     rm libcrypto.so.2
     rm libssl.so
     rm libssl.so.1
     rm libssl.so.2
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so libcrypto.so
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.1
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.2
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so libssl.so
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so libssl.so.1
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so libssl.so.2

     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/include/ /usr/include/ssl

     cd /usr/include
     rm -rf openssl
     ln -s /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl openssl

* Rerun ldconfig

     cd /etc
     rm ld.so.cache

     vi ld.so.conf

        - add /usr/local/ssl/lib
        - add /usr/local/lib       <-- optional

     ldconfig

* Done

     Thanks to "David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>