Hello, Eric

1)
oids are a means to avoid conflicting extensions (or other definitions).
Depending on the country and/or organization you are in, there may be also
other sources for your OID than IANA.

The link of Markus Lorch points to the source of "private enterprise
numbers", which are below iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise
(1.3.6.1.4.1)
Some more general information on the OID-tree you may find at
http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/top.html (schemes ok, details a bit
outdated)

A big bunch of OIDs is organized in a more structured way (than below
1.3.6.1.4.1) by using a countrywise scheme.
This is below

2.16,x , joint-iso-itu-t(2) country(16) and (x) is the country-ID (US has
840, for example --- it's alphabetical)
complete(?) list of country-ids under
http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/diverse/doc/ISO_3166.html
oid arc -- see:
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/oid/root/joint-iso-itu-t/country/#top
(there is also a "deprecated" tree under 1.2. for countries)

in US, ANSI governs the OIDs of the 2.16.840 tree.
For more information on how to register an organization name, see the report
ANSI X3.216 available at:
http://web.ansi.org/public/services/reg_org.html

2)
get an oid, build your own subtree, get into ASN.1, define an extension.
(needs some asn.1 knowledge)
Then, add the oid to openssl.cnf, [ new_oids ] as
my_own_extension = 2.16.840.x.x

and, where extension should be added,
2.16.840.x.x=DER:SomeHexValues

see openssl.txt

Best regards,
Michael

Am 2002-10-25 19:51 Uhr schrieb "Eric Weitzman" unter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Would someone be kind enough to direct me to sources of information on:
>
> 1) creating new oids that don't conflict with existing oids
> 2) creating new attributes in certificates that can hold arbitrary values
>
> Thanks,
> - Eric

Karl-Michael Werzowa
A-1190 Wien, Paradisgasse 28/4/6
+43 (664)302 4511,  fax +43 (1)328 1992 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED]