WSAStartup() is required for Winsock 1.x as well.
You should be calling this in your application.  It would be
inappropriate for this to be called from OpenSSL.

Peter Aben wrote:

I have used OpenSSL 0.9.6c in our application successfully on various platforms.
After upgrading to 0.9.6h, on the Windows platform the socket() call fails with an error code 10093 (successful WSAStartup not yet performed).
For compatibility reasons I don't use Winsock2, so no WSAStartup should be necessairy (and it wasn't with 0.9.6c). When I replace the new (0.9.6h) SSL dll's with the old ones (0.9.6c), it works fine again (without recompiling my application). The specific platform is NT4/SP6a. I use the default compilation procedure that comes with OpenSSL. The compiler is MSVC 5.00.
Is anyone familiar with this problem?