[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>In message
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed,
>15 Jan 2003 17:55:05 +0000, Andrew Marlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>apm35> I have received a disappointing response to this query so far.
>
>Here's a less disappointing one: I'm looking into it.  I've observed
>the same as you, that the compression methods aren't called...

I have done some more investigation and have found that ssltest
will compress when the TLS1 protocol is explicitly selected.
So this could all be a mistake on my part. I assumed that
on-the-fly-compression was available with ssl version 3 and later.
According to RFC 2246 the compression code is an integral part
of the TLS v1 standard (although the numbers still have to be
formally agreed). It does not seem to be mentioned in the
original Netscape SSL v3 document.

I note that the compression byte is sent when using the
SSL v3 protocol but the value is always zero.
The question is: should this byte be there and if so,
does that mean that openSSL is wrong not to set it when
SSL_COMP_add_compression_method has been called?

Regards,

Andrew M.