Hi Chandrasekhar,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:20:58AM +0530, Chandrasekhar R S wrote:
> Hi Vadim
>       I am sorry for portraying the problem vaguely.
>
>       I will make an attempt to clarify the problem -
>
>       The entire scenario -
>
>           Client -- Proxy Server - Proxy Client -- Backend Server
>
>           Proxy Server and Proxy Client are on the same M/C and hence no SSL
> communication between them.  Data transfer through IPC.
>
>             Localized Scenario : Client -- Proxy Server
>             1. Client has CA signed certificate, call it "CLIENT CERT".
>             2. Client's Public Key is tightly coupled with "CLIENT CERT"

You likely mean private key here

>             3. This public key will be used in establishing SSL connection
>                with the Proxy Server.

to establish SSL connection with the proxy, SSL server sertificate
and private key is required. It is not required to do Connect method
of HTTP.

>             4. Proxy Server could extract the "CLIENT CERT", say to a file.
>                The file would be available for the Proxy Client (since both
>                would be on the same m/c).

I should say it again: yes, SSL client certificate is available for
"Proxy Client" at this point. One could print it or something.
However, it needs the corresponding private key to run SSL protocol
pretending to be the client.

>             Localized Scenario : Proxy Client -- Backend Server
>             5. The requirement is, Proxy Client should be presenting
>                "CLIENT CERT" to the backend server.

Yes, it can "present" it somehow

>      My doubt is, as a certificate is tightly coupled with a Public Key, how
> could the Proxy Client use "CLIENT CERT" (that has client's public key) in
> its communication with the backend server (using SSL).

Please remember SSL had well-defined protocol design goals,
including handling man-in-the-middle

>      I referred to Stronghold HTTP server as, in their website they offer
> two options, 1. to tunnel the "CLIENT CERT" to the backend server
>          2. to present a "PROXY CLIENT CERT" for proxy client -- backend
> server scenario.

I'd prefer to keep talking about well-known protocols and
business requirements.

Would Connect method of HTTP deliver functions wanted?

>      My requirement is to develop this functionality not for a particular
> protocol, but generically.

Any chance to tune mod_ssl or apache-ssl to do the job?

>      Sorry for the confusion.  I hope, I had been clearer than earlier.
>
> with thanks and regards,
> rsr.

best wishes,
Vadim Fedukovich