Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  And it seems that this
is the problem.

But interestingly, the new one does not work for my
Win2K box in my lab.  That is, if I use the new one
you offered, it won't give me a whole list of
Cryptographic Service Providers, just like what
happened to my Win2K box at home.  The old one works
in my lab, but does not work at my home.  I'll see if
the new one works for my home Win2K box when I get
home.

I use IE 6.0 for the Win2K boxes both at my home and
at my lab in school.

I am curious, what stuff in the Win2K operating system
determines the version of the classid I need to use
for my application?

Thanks.

The other Mark

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
>             base = count
>          end if
>          if ProviderName = "Microsoft Enhanced
> Cryptographic Provider v1.0" Then
>             enhanced = count
>          end if
>          cspIndex = cspIndex +1
>          ProviderName = ""
>          ProviderName =
> encoder.enumProviders(cspIndex,0)
>          count = count + 1
>       wend
>    Next
>    Document.CertReqForm.CspProvider.selectedIndex =
> base
>    if enhanced then
>       Document.CertReqForm.CspProvider.selectedIndex
> =
> enhanced
>    end if
>    End Function
> -->
> </SCRIPT>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY onLoad="GetProviderList()" bgcolor="#ffffff"
> link="black" vlink="black" alink="black">
> <center>
> <FONT face=arial size="3"><strong>IE Certificate
> Request</strong></FONT>
> </center>
>
> <HR>
> Welcome to certificate enrollment. <BR>
>
> <HR>
> <FORM NAME="CertReqForm"
> ACTION="/x509/servlet/CertReq"
> ENCTYPE=x-www-form-encoded METHOD=POST>
>  Please give your name and email, then click OK to
> submit your request.<BR>
>
>         Name: <input type=text size=10
> name=clientname
> value="foo"><br>
>         Email: <input type=text size=20
> name=clientemail value="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"><br>
>
>     <P>Please choose the CSP you wish to use from
> the
> list below (the default is probably good):</P>
>     <SELECT NAME="CspProvider">
>     </SELECT></P>
>
>     <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="pkcs10" VALUE="">
>
> <INPUT type="button" value="OK" name="GenReq">
>
> </FORM>
>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBS>
>     Function CSR(keyflags)
>        CSR = ""
>        szName          = "CN=6AEK347fw8vWE424"
>        encoder.HashAlgorithm = "MD5"
>        err.clear
>        On Error Resume Next
>        set options =
> document.all.CspProvider.options
>        index = options.selectedIndex
>        encoder.providerName = options(index).text
>        tmpProviderType = options(index).value
>        encoder.providerType = tmpProviderType
>        encoder.KeySpec = 2
>        if tmpProviderType < 2 Then
>           encoder.KeySpec = 1
>        end if
>        encoder.GenKeyFlags = &h04000001 OR keyflags
>        CSR = encoder.createPKCS10(szName, "")
>        if len(CSR)<>0 then Exit Function
>        encoder.GenKeyFlags = &h04000000 OR keyflags
>        CSR = encoder.createPKCS10(szName, "")
>        if len(CSR)<>0 then Exit Function
>        if encoder.providerName = "Microsoft Enhanced

=== message truncated ===

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-pkcs7-signature
name=smime.p7s