> could someone tell me how to extract the certification path from an ordinary
> certificate (X509 certificate)

The certificate doesn't have a path, it just has the DN of its issuer.
You have to calculate the path yourself by getting the cert of
the issuer, following up the chain, and so on.  (I.e., no path, just the
first step. :)

It gets very complicated if one CA is certified by two other CA's: this
is called cross certification and makes the path analysis much harder.
        /r$