This post is about two things:

1) I am curious to know if anyone has tried out
   the performance enhancement I submitted for
   using ZLIB with openSSL.

2) I would like to know if anything is going to be
   done about openSSL ignoring the compression byte
   during the handshake when the protocol is to be
   negotiated.

I suspect very few people have used openSSL with
compression. It was not properly supported in
the build until 0.9.7. There is an outstanding
problem in the handshake (see below) and the
IETF has still not formally agreed on the choice
of algorithm numbers. However, there must be
other developers who want to be on the bleeding edge!

At the moment the only way for compression to work
is for the sender to say it is using a protocol
explicitly (and it must be either SSLv3 or TLSv1).
This is due to the fact that it has to cope with
negotiation with a party that only speaks SSLv2
where the compression byte is absent.

I realise that I can achieve what I want by negotiating
then it it turns out we are both speaking >= SSLv3
then I can tear the connection down and start again
with that protocol explicitly selected and with
compression specified. But what a bother! And what
counterintuitive behaviour. Surely this can be
done behind the scenes. What about when TLSv2
comes along? This would disadvantage s/w that uses
compression because it would be hardcoded to use TLSv1.

Regards,

Andrew M.