On Thu, Jun 05, 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Are we at cross-purposes here? I'm referring to server certificates, not
> client certificates (about which I am completely clueless as I currently
> have no business reason to use them).
>
> Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Can you point me to a
> secure site that uses a key size >1024 bits? I can't find one for love nor
> money.

I don't know of any public sites but its easy enough to do a test. I made a
sample self signed certificate with an 8192 bit key:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -keyout x.pem -out x.pem -newkey rsa:8192

Then pointed the test server at it:

openssl s_server -cert x.pem -www -port 443

Then putting https://127.0.0.1/ into browsers and clicking past the warnings
brought up the test page on two browsers, Mozilla 1.3 and MSIE 6.0.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
Freelance consultant see: http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/