> So when generating a key, how do I determing the size?

It's typically one of the parameters.  Or do you mean "how do I know what
size key to generate?"  The answer to that unless you have enough
expertise and knowledge to know otherwise, follow the prevailing practice.

> If the bits paramater in RSA_generate_key fuction equals 128, does this mean
> I have created a 128 bit key?

Yes.  But that would be quite silly and insecure.  Use 1Kbit or 2Kbit.
        /r$
--
Rich Salz                     Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology          http://www.datapower.com