Hello,

Yesterday I installed OpenSSL 0.9.7b on my Athlon system with Debian Linux
and a 2.2.20 kernel.  As far as I can tell, the compile, test, and
install were all flawless, but so far I've been unable to use it for
anything useful.  I wanted to try processing a binary PKCS12 file (ie.
split apart the 3 certificates inside) as downloaded from Thawte's
FreeMail service, but keep getting the same errors no matter what I try.
For example

./openssl pkcs12 -in ~/deliver.exe -info -noout

returns errors like

251:error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong
tag:tasn_dec.c:939:
251:error:0D06C03A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_D2I_EX_PRIMITIVE:nested
asn1
error:tasn_dec.c:628:
251:error:0D08303A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_D2I:nested asn1
error:tasn_dec.c:566:Field=version, Type=PKCS12

>From the last line, I'm assuming this really is a PKCS12 file and not
something else.  Other similar commands return the same errors.  I
briefly tried some PKCS7 commands, looked as strace, and changed a few
system settings, but nothing makes any difference.  Does anybody know
what's happening here?  I'm new to OpenSSL, obviously, and hopefully am
not doing something dumb. ;-)

Thanks,

Todd

--
Todd Oberly              "I heard the dandelions roar in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Piccadilly Circus"        XTC, River of Orchids