On Sun, Jul 20, 2003, Leonard R Smith II wrote:

> To all,
>       I have a cert that is signed by verisign. Its works find with
> openssl-0.9.6e that I compiled. The openssl verify command works and tells
> me that that cert is okay and most of the ssl clients I used recognize it.
>
>       However I am having trouble with Sun Microsystems openssl
> distribution. It failes with a "certificate signature failure" and Sun's
> openssl verify command returns
>
> /opt/SUNWconn/crypto/bin/openssl verify file.crt
> file.crt: /C=US/O=RSA Data Security, Inc./OU=Secure Server Certification Authority
> error 7 at 1 depth lookup:certificate signature failure
> 5904:error:0D07908D:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_verify:unknown message
> digest algorithm:a_verify.c:86:
>
>       I've checked the list, searched the web and read the docs and I
> have not been able to resolve the problem so far. I saw that Colin posted
> to the list a similar problem back in April but I did not see a response.
> Can anyone point me towards some other things to try or check, or better
> yet has anyone seen this and gotten it to work.

You don't mention which version of OpenSSL that is. Check this with:

openssl version

if it says 0.9.7 then try:

openssl list-message-digest-commands

otherwise you'll have to look in

openssl -h

for the list of message digests.

There should be md2 in there. If not then they've compiled OpenSSL
without that digest and that's the problem: md2 is considered obsolete but its
still used in some Verisign certificates.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
Freelance consultant see: http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/