Hi,

I'm a newcomer to this crypto business and maybe I'm a little confused... I
don't want to hijack this conversation but surely somebody from evil.bar.com
could provide a certificate signed by a trusted party for example.foo.com.
After all, the certificate is public right?  So something else, be it DNS
related or otherwise, must be needed to make sure the connection is sound.
Is it not common practice to do a test encryption, thereby ensuring the
'other end' has a private key to match the public key in the certificate?

Again, apologies for interrupting but I am now quite confused,

Dan