I want to install the Perl module Net::SSLeay.pm, which requires
"OpenSSL-0.9.6j or 0.9.7b or newer," but the installer script
complains that it cannot find my OpenSSL.  I have tried supplying
various directories (/usr/bin, /etc/ssl, /usr/lib/ssl), but the
installer can't find OpenSSL in any of them.  Just to make sure, I
uninstalled and re-installed from openssl_0.9.7b-2_i386.deb (I use
Linux Debian).  Still, no luck.

So either I need to install some other package in addition to
openssl_0.9.7b-2_i386.deb, or else the "installation directory" for
OpenSSL is completely non-obvious, (or the installer for Net::SSLeay
is broken).  I could not find any other openssl-related packages (such
as openssl-devel) at the Debian site.  (I am trying hard to install
everything on this machine from *.deb package files with apt-get or
dpkg).

If anybody can throw me a cluebrick on this I would greatly appreciate
it.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Kynn

PS: Please Cc: me in your replies.