> >Ahha!  I know what we'll do, we'll require certificate authentication!
> >Ok, assuming I have a list of the major CAs and the the certificate
> >verified correctly
>
> You're missing the point.  A hijack or redirect is not a MITM
> attack.  These words have specific meaning, which you are abusing.

No, I'm not.  I promise you.  Perhaps we're working from two
different dictionaries, but the one I use (network security
lingo) clearly does define that as one of the definitions.

Think Dug Songs' dsniff (http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/
which provides MITM for ssh, https, etc.

> Authentication != Authorization

Correct.  Agreed.

> >Yes, this is a 100% valid definition of MITM.  At least to us
> >security/network folks.  SSL was designed to *provide you the
> >ability* to prevent MITM attacks, but you need to do all the
> >checks above, it doesn't just happen by itself.
>
> You are simply mistaken.  SSL is -IN SE- proof against MITM
> attack.  It is computationally infeasible to succesfully interpose
> and perform the handshake between a client and a server in a non-anon
> setting.
>
> If you connect to and authenticate the wrong server, that's
> not a MITM.

Ok, let's take a vote.  All who think this can be called MITM, please
respond to /dev/null.  Those who do not, please respond to
/usr/../dev/null.

So, what would you call it if someone interposes themselves in between
you and the endpoint and you do not know that they are there?  Is there
not a generic term for it?  Wouldn't that be.... oh never mind.

I'm exiting this thread now.

--
Brian Hatch                  "Ouch!  That's really painful."
   Systems and                 Reegen, 23 months, Edinburg,