Hi all,
I have an app that requires 2 types of secure communications:
-one fully secured channel with encrypted data
-one fully secured channel, *except* that the data itself is not secret, and does not need any encryption.

Hence, I would be grateful if someone could spell out what the following cipher suite provides:

DES-CBC3-SHA

that the following one doesn't:

NULL-SHA

with regards to the following security features:

1. secrecy (encryption)
2. authentication (sender/receiver validation)
3. prevention of message tampering

One other thing .. once the handshake is over, is there much CPU/network bandwidth overhead in using NULL-SHA, compared with unsecured tcp?

Many thanks!
Neil Humphreys