Charles B Cranston wrote:

So if you put the two ASCII characters 1A into a file
called cacert.srl you would expect the certificate that
is produced to have serial number 25 and the file to
contain 1B after all the smoke has cleared.

I'm sorry, that example should have been (of course) that if you put 19 into the file then it should generate cert serial 25 and increment the file to 1A. The pedagogical principle was to hammer home the idea that it is in hex format (and an even number of digits).

I refer to previous messages that I should not post
before noon...

--
Charles B (Ben) Cranston
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]