I've been debating in my head over the best way to call openssl from perl.
So far, what I am doing is calling it with 'system' and writing/reading
temporary files when there is no password involved, and opening it for
writing via a  pipe when a password is used and passing it the password via
stdin.  I've used this method before and it's actually pretty reliable in my
own experience.  Worst case I am not able to open a file for writing, or
openssl outputs an empty file, but that's easy to check for.

Any thoughts?

Chris