Yes, that's exactly what I suspect it to me.  At one time I
had a URL to a nice techical writeup of the problem, which
bit us trying to use PHP to connect to the IBM product.
Later I read somewhere that it was a problem for the
Microsoft product but I have not tested this directly.

There was an "ignore" bit in the OpenSSL API and I think
I traced code through OpenLDAP that would pass "options"
it didn't know about down to OpenSSL, but I never got a
chance to try it, we eventually dropped PHP and started
doing things in Perl.