On Mon, Nov 17, 2003, Steven Reddie wrote:

> So this sounds like a limitation of our software rather than an OpenSSL
> by-design issue?
>
> I've been told that when the EE certificate in question was issued that the
> CA's subject DN was copied to the EE's issuer DN and "flipped" on the way; I
> don't understand why.  The people responsible for the tools have now changed
> the behaviour to not flip the DN but are looking for us to get our PKCS12
> export function working with their special certs so that their clients can
> avoid having to regenerate them.  Should OpenSSL work with such certs?

One possibility is the textual display of a DN if it follows RFC2253: this
reverses the order of the coponents in a DN before outputting them.

However that's only for textual display.

What you seem to be saying however is that the software is changing the order
of the components of a DN between the CA subject name and the EE issuer name.

The ordering is important for a DN, two DNs which have identical components
but which are ordered differently are *NOT* equivalent. This means that any
compliant software (OpenSSL, Mozilla, MSIE etc) will not recognise the CA as
being the issuer of the EE certificate.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.
Homepage: http://drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk