I have a requirement to implement cross-platform 3DES encryption (driven by
a text pass phrase) between Microsoft and various UNIX platforms.    Both
platforms use the vendor supplied libraries: In the case of UNIX that's
OpenSSL, and in the case of Microsoft it's the Windows routines declared by
<wincrypt.h>.

Invoking 3DES on either platform looks straightforward, except for the
transformation of the pass phrase into a key.  On the Microsoft platform, I
can hash the pass phrase which is directly passed into the 3DES processing.
The OpenSSL environment provides DES_string_to_key() but its use is
discouraged in place of a cryptographic hash function. .. but the man page
doesn't define a standard procedure to do so.

So, I am open to suggestions (read: NEED HELP) as to how to consistently use
a pass phrase with both libraries.

-ahd-
--
"OS/2, the system so good you can't install it just once" -- Dave Gomberg