I'd like to set the value of the SubjectAltName in openssl.cnf as a variable, in order to create different certificates without changing the SubjectAltName value in openssl.cnf at anytime. I'd like to set the value during starting the openssl command from the shell. Is this possible?

If you are working in Unix try using environment variable substitution, similar to this quote from actual working code:

[extend] # openssl extensions
subjectAltName = email:$ENV::CERTMAIL # cannot have double quotes here!

This substitutes in the value of environment variable CERTMAIL
which in this particular application is the email address associated with the "responsible person" for the server certificate that is
being generated.

--

Charles B. (Ben) Cranston
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]