Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

OK, that seems to rule out the low level socket read and write calls being the cause.

Have you tried this in the latest 0.9.7 snapshot BTW? IIRC some fixes have
been made to buffering BIOs.

I'll try that this evening. After that I'm off to the ocean for the weekend. My laptop goes with me, so if it rains I'll get some more debugging time. :-)

Can you break out of the program when it hangs to see what it is doing?

I attached gdb to a hung client the other day. The debugger thought the process was in int_malloc() which had been called by malloc(), and there was nothing on the stack above that. Very strange.

I think the buffering BIO is a likely suspect.

I'll proceed as if the buffering BIO has been proven guilty and see where that takes me. :-)

Thanks, Steve!

Paul Allen
--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]