In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:52:56 -0800, "BV" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> said:

openssl> Can somebody explain or point me to docs on this flag?
openssl>
openssl> I'm not sure why Kerberos 5 would be excluded by default...
openssl>
openssl> If I want Kerberos support, should I remove this flag from the make file ?

You should configure properly.  The krb5 configuration options break
from the usual format a little bit.  The two options --with-krb5-dir
and --with-krb5-flavor are mandatory to enable krb5 support.  See the
comments in Configure.

Note that there have been changes in the MIT Kerberos libraries
recently, and recent experience has shown that OpenSSL doesn't
interface with more modern versions (1.3.0 and up, maybe?).

Also, although OpenSSL has the ambition to work with Heimdal some day,
it hasn't happened yet, mostly because of incompatibilities between
the private functions in MIT Kerberos and Heimdal.  Of course, we
shouldn't use those private functions at all, but I don't have enough
knowledge to figure out what we should do instead (I haven't coded the
stuff we have today).  I've a half promise of help from someone in the
Heimdal team, but it hasn't happened yet...

Because of all the current problems, we have chosen to make Kerberos
support a selectable feature, to be selected "at your own risk"
because it's rather shaky.  When that code stabilises, I might change
it to become default if available on the building system.

-----

Richard Levitte   \ Tunnlandsvägen 52 \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  \ S-168 36  BROMMA  \ T: +46-708-26 53 44
                    \      SWEDEN       \
Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis                -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the OpenSSL development team: http://www.openssl.org/

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.