Requests for an embedded OpenSSL implementation are periodically made on
this list.  Our team worked through many of these issues trying to make a
small OpenSSL library.  Turning off the optional defines will reduce the
library by a couple hundred KB.  Going in by hand to remove code becomes
very difficult due to interdependencies, but can save another 100-200KB.  A
few weeks of work can reduce the OpenSSL size to around 500KB.

We have released an embedded SSL implementation that is under 50KB, well
commented and very easy to understand and support.  MatrixSSL is available
under a dual-license, similar to MySQL, with the open source download at
http://www.matrixssl.org

MatrixSSL was designed to fit a complementary niche to OpenSSL, download and
check it out!

J Harper
PeerSec Networks
http://www.peersec.com