...and everything works now. A good thing is I created my first keypair,
certificate, encrypted message and signed message and decrypted and
verified them ok. Bad thing is it took all day. With half a dozen
different PGP implementations I never spent more than an hour or two to
make them do the basic stuff. If this relation holds for all work with
S/MIME or PGP
(which I guess is so) I can tell you which one will be the future
standard.

BTW, our project for the day was to script a simplistic Web based mail
gateway supporting S/MIME messaging. A user could create a (Linux)
account on our test box (probably to be smime.teleware.fi) and generate
a keypair and a certificate signed by our "Authority". We would feed
HTML to Apache with scripts using /bin/mail, "openssl smime" and
Postfix. Does anybody know of any (public) Web mail service for sending
and receiving S/MIME? I mean like Hushmail for OpenPGP.