In case you've seen this post already, I apologize.  I am experiencing strange rejections from master.openssl.org when posting my corporate email, so I'm trying again from this account.

From: "mclellan, dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Openssl Users ([EMAIL PROTECTED])" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AIX shared library builds - 0.9.7c
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:20:25 +0000

Hi: I'm trying to build OpenSSL on AIX 4.3 with shared libraries. the
compiler version is 4.3.2.0.

The do_aix-shared target in the Makefile.ssl uses the cc command to link the
shared libraries, defined by the macro $(SHAREDCMD). But cc complains about
the -G flag, and recommends using the ld command. No problem, I could use
that, but it involves manually editing the Makefile.ssl to change it, or
hopefully there's some other way

manual editing doesn't work since we build openssl in an unattended process.
Is it a generally a ccepted practice in the OpenSSL world to override macros
on the make command itself? This I could automate very easily.

Any experience with AIX shared libraries you have to share would be greatly
appreciated. thanks.

Dave

Dave McLellan --Consulting Software Engineer - SPEA Engineering
EMC Corporation
228 South St. Mail Stop: 228 LL/AA-24
Hopkinton, MA 01748 USA
+1-508-249-1257 F: +1-508-497-8030 [EMAIL PROTECTED]