hello,

I encountered an error when compiling openssl-0.9.6b
as a shared library in solaris 8. I know that it's
quite an old version, but I need to use that version
since the server it wants to talk to uses version
0.9.6b.

I followed the instructions in:
http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/LDAP.html
Briefly:
1. In configure, change "gnu-shared" to
"solaris-shared" then add "-R/usr/local/ssl/lib " just
before "-lsocket"
2. ./Configure solaris-x86-gcc shared
--prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/lib/ssl
3. make, which failed with the following error:
gcc -I. -I../include -fPIC -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT
-DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
-m486 -Wall -DL_ENDIAN -DNO_INLINE_ASM -DSHA1_ASM
-DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM
-I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
-I/usr/local/include/openssl -c  cryptlib.c
cc1: Invalid option `486'
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`cryptlib.o'
Current working directory
/usr/local/openssl-0.9.6b/crypto
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sub_all'

not sure what it means :-(

I actually used openssl-0.9.6i, it compiled perfectly
and can link with openldap properly.
But when I tested the TLS connection with the server,
it threw me :
TLS trace: SSL_accept:before/accept initialization
TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 read client hello A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 write server hello A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 write certificate A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 write server done A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 flush data
TLS trace: SSL_accept:error in SSLv3 read client
certificate A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:error in SSLv3 read client
certificate A
daemon: select: listen=6 active_threads=0 tvp=NULL
daemon: select: listen=7 active_threads=0 tvp=NULL
daemon: activity on 1 descriptors
daemon: activity on: 10r
daemon: read activity on 10
connection_get(10): got connid=1
connection_read(10): checking for input on id=1
TLS trace: SSL_accept:error in SSLv3 read client
certificate A
TLS: can't accept.
TLS: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong
version number s3_pkt.c:297
connection_read(10): TLS accept error error=-1 id=1,
closing
connection_closing: readying conn=1 sd=10 for close
connection_close: conn=1 sd=10

I posted this problem to this list, but nobody
replied...so I thought that I have to use the same
version of ssl in the server and the client....is this
true ?

I've been stucked with this problem for quite a long
time. It works fine between linux client and
server...but i have no luck with solaris 8 client til
now.

Any idea ?

-lara-

=====
La vie, voyez-vous, ca n'est jamais si bon ni si mauvais qu'on croit
                                                                        - Guy de
Maupassant -